Sunday, January 22, 2012

Biscotti

Hello, I am the Barren Baker and I have a coffee addiction. Not just to a cup of plain old coffee, but to those delicious espresso drinks that come from a favorite coffee chain. In particular, I have an addiction to warm, delicious, mochas. My day doesn't seem complete without one. But what about those days when it is raining out and I have no desire to leave the house? That is where my new espresso machine comes in to play. I'm still learning how to pour a perfect shot of espresso and steam the perfect cup of milk. My little Mr. Coffee machine is definitely a starter machine, but it makes me very happy to be able to make a latte or mocha in my own kitchen. And today I decided that my decaf mocha needed some biscotti to go with it.

Biscotti, a twice baked cookie, is a crunchy treat that is perfect to dip in your coffee. I was surprised at how easy they were to actually bake, and I think that I may start to make these frequently.

Ingredients



1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
cooking spray


Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. 


Combine the dry ingredients in medium sized bowl, and whisk together. In large bowl combine the vanilla, 2 eggs, and 1 egg white. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture in divided batches mixing each time until well combined.


Divide the batter in half. With floured hands, form each half into a 12 inch roll and pat down to approximately 1/2 inch thickness. 


Bake on cooking sheet sprayed with cooking spray for 22 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool the rolls on a wire rack for approximately 10 minutes.




Cut each roll into thin slices and bake upright on baking sheet for an additional 15 minutes or until firm.




I got approximately 20 cookies from this recipe, although the source Cooking Light states you will get approximately 36. I either didn't make 12 inch rolls, or I cut them too thick. But they came out delicious so I don't care. I'm off to go make myself a latte to dunk my biscotti.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! So don't be shy... say hello!