Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wedding thoughts

My sister-in-law is getting married, and I am so grateful to be a big part of the wedding. All this planning and organizing has got me thinking about my own wedding. It is easy to get caught up in all the details of the day. You want everything to be perfect... the flowers, the cake, the dress. Little things become ridiculous. The placement of the ribbon on the program is vitally important!! Why would my fiance think he was being helpful by punching the holes in the program for the ribbon there??? Didn't he know that was wrong??? Thankfully, I got past the whole program debacle, and even though the ribbon wasn't placed where I had wanted it, our wedding was beautiful. Everyone, including my husband and myself, had a really great time. People still talk about how fun our wedding was. And, ultimately, the most important thing occurred. I married my soul mate.

Eleven years later, looking back, would I change anything? The couple of things that didn't go as planned actually make for good stories. I mean it is pretty funny that our DJ played "Let's make love" as our last song instead of "It's your Love" as we had requested. And who in the world requested "the family tradition" of gathering around us as we danced to New York, New York? Both my husband and I still do not know of this so called tradition. I think I would only change one thing...

Friends. They are so important in life.  We have been so lucky to find a few amazing friends later in life. That doesn't always happen. Yet it saddens me that these close friends of mine weren't even at our wedding. We didn't know each other, yet they are such a huge part of our lives now. It is funny how that works. So if I could, I would go back and somehow include these special friends in our wedding day. I think I would have a very large bridal party if my wedding were to have occurred today.

Well, okay, I guess I would also go back and change the placement of the ribbons on my programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! So don't be shy... say hello!